Matt Damon revealed the incredible amount of money he lost by refusing to star in “Avatar”

Matt Damon Avatar

The protagonist of the Jason Bourne saga told in an interview with the medium Deadline the incredible offer he rejected to be the protagonist of the highest-grossing film in history.

The protagonist of the Jason Bourne saga, Matt Damon declined to participate in the James Cameron sci-fi film, “Avatar” due to a date conflict with another project.

During the Cannes Film Festival, in an interview with Deadline, Damon revealed that he turned down an incredible offer that included 10% of the profits of the film that in 2009 raised $2.8 billion worldwide.

“They offered me a little movie called ‘Avatar’, James Cameron offered me 10%. I will go down in history … you will never meet an actor who has turned down more money,” said the actor.

The decision to reject the project came mainly due to a conflict with the shooting of a Jason Bourne film, “The Bourne Ultimatum”, as Damon did not want to abruptly leave the popular action franchise.

Finally, the leading role fell into the hands of Sam Worthington, who starred in the film alongside Zoe SaldanaJoel David MooreStephen Lang and Sigourney Weaver among others. As far as is known, none of the protagonists received the same 10% offer that had been offered to Matt Damon.

After raising $2.8 billion, 20th Century Studios and Lightstorm Entertainment previously announced release dates for the film’s four future sequels, which will have a combined budget of more than $1 billion. The first sequel, “Avatar 2” began filming on September 25, 2017 with a view to a premiere that will arrive on December 22, 2022.

Then, the third part -which has been shot at the same time as the second- will do so in December 2024, the fourth on December 18, 2026 and the fifth and last (at least for now) on December 22, 2028. Of course, Cameron has already warned that they will not make the fourth and fifth installments if the previous two do not have the expected success.