Psychology, as we all know, is the science that studies human behavior. This science can be applied to the world of advertising and marketing to improve the number of sales of any product or service, regardless of the sector.
But what exactly is advertising and marketing psychology? What marketing strategies take into account the study of the mind and the human being to reach the public?
Certain advertising content and images influence the perception that the public has of a certain brand or product. Marketing experts, but also advertising psychology professionals, are responsible for the effect that advertising has on us and our perception of reality.
What is marketing & advertising psychology?
Advertising psychology is dedicated to the analysis of the impact that advertising has on people, studying its characteristics and diffusion . From this work, advertising psychologists draw conclusions about the consumption habits of the subjects, establishing strategies on which advertising campaigns will later be designed.
Therefore, its importance in our society is essential when determining values that explain what consumers are based on when choosing a certain brand or what they are looking for.
In all this, the media, and now also social media, play a fundamental role, since they constitute the communication channels that disseminate messages based on persuading, conditioning, suggesting the consumer.
By analyzing their perception of the ads, effective strategies can be designed in advertising sales .
In this article we are going to talk about Advertising psychology, one of the branches of psychology, which studies the characteristics and effects that advertising causes on the public. This branch of psychology is a field of study and interdisciplinary application, in which the interests of consumption converge with psychology, always around the variables that allow to explain and predict with greater accuracy the psychological tendencies of the act of consumption and taking into account how much persuasion, influence and all the means of communication.
Psychology strategies in marketing & advertising
Psychology has come a long way in recent decades, a reality that has helped us design strategies related to this discipline to attract the attention of the audience of a brand or company. These strategies are numerous:
- Emotional marketing : it is the marketing that appeals to the emotions to influence the purchase decision of the target audience.
- Classical or instrumental conditioning: classical conditioning is a strategy that is based on highlighting attributes that are not always linked to the product or service that the brand or company advertises. While the instrumental is one in which the real characteristics of the product or service are explained. This should be used whenever said product or service presents characteristics superior to those presented by the main competitors.
- Zeigarnik effect : it is a strategy based on the creation of expectations. It is used a lot in the world of television, for example: when the chapter of a series ends and they put fragments of the next episode, with the aim of creating need and suspense.
- Persuasion : many people confuse persuasion with manipulation and… it has nothing to do with it! Persuasion is an art that consists of very subtly convincing people to act in a certain way.
- Neuromarketing : neuromarketing is a strategy based on the study of the mind and brain
with the aim of influencing people to obtain a higher number of sales. Knowing how the consumer’s mind works helps us to carry out good marketing.
- Cognitive dissonance : cognitive dissonance is related to satisfaction. If we choose a product that does not satisfy us and that is not consistent, we will feel bad. Cognitive dissonance is a strategy that helps the consumer to know how useful the product will be so that they feel satisfied and do not question the purchase.
Advertising psychology is based on advertising strategies, such as these:
- Mechanist: This advertising strategy is the conditioning via repetition of slogan or image that would trigger the purchase reaction
- Persuasive: This advertising strategy provides information characterizing product attributes and compares it with the competition, it also emphasizes a superior solution to its competitors. On the other hand creativity is based on common sense in intuition and the subject is considered a rational subject.
- Projective: This advertising strategy is the one that addresses the cultural changes and lifestyles of the subject. It also features matching models with interests and opinions.
- Suggestive: This advertising strategy is the one that seeks to investigate what generates anxieties, anguish, fears, etc. It also takes input from psychoanalysis and offers a magical product as a form of transactional solution.
As you can see, advertising psychology is responsible for studying all this and according to research, the characteristics that contribute to the success of advertising campaigns are these:
- Ad features: This part of the advertising campaign is where you choose the color, typography and images.
- Repetition: For the success of an advertising campaign it is necessary that the ad be repeated a large number of times.
- Price: Although the price is important, it does not have to be the lowest price that sells the most, the consumer and the positioning also influence here.
- Channel: This medium is the most used to transmit the advertisement, it can be radio, tv, press, etc. For the success of the advertising campaign, it is necessary to look at the broadcast times and the locations.
Advertising psychology studies aspects as important as the sounds and language used in advertisements , emphasizing their emotional level, that is, the capacity they have to impress and the expressions they arouse in subjects .
With the above in mind, the psychology of advertising studies advertisements from several fronts. On the one hand, taking into account its own characteristics . For this reason, this branch of psychology is in charge of analyzing shapes and color, determining those colors and shapes that get the best response from the consumer.
For example, various studies have shown that the color blue is the one that usually produces the greatest emotions in subjects due to the sensation of transparency and fullness that it transmits. It is the color most used in graphic design to design logos, since, in addition to freshness, it infuses professionalism. Blue is followed by red, also widely used for its attractiveness. It is a color that stimulates the visual perceptions of those who contemplate it, so it is also used often.
The fonts, where the use of the Swiss family stands out, and the images are other data that these professionals also take into account.
In addition to the characteristics, they observe the incidence caused by repetition and the means by which a certain advertising message is transmitted , and how this, together with the price, influences the perception of consumers.
Therefore, within marketing, the role of advertising psychology is extremely important. Their analyzes are used to design new campaigns, based on the results of the influence of the ads, more effective strategies are designed for the sale of the products.