Surely when you hear about real-time marketing, you think they refer to the development of up-to-date and constant marketing strategies. However, real-time marketing goes much further. It is an adaptation of marketing to the current times in which new technologies predominate and, therefore, new spaces for interaction with customers emerge.
Technology offers the necessary tools to process and interpret data and thereby get to know users. In this way we can anticipate your wishes and intentions.
What is real-time marketing ?
Real-time marketing is marketing aimed at users 2.0. They are marketing actions in which a relevant event or news is attached to an advertising message to take advantage of its virality. Its main goal is to create lasting brand memories whose impact will achieve better brand positioning and popularity in the media.
Its most common means of development are social media, in which a dynamic of interaction with consumers is generated through comments, answering tweets or emails.
Social networks have proven to be an ideal space for bringing brands closer to customers in an interactive and retroactive way. Therefore, one of the most important elements of real-time marketing is reaction time. A key factor for the success of current marketing strategies. The impact or influence of the message can vary in a matter of seconds.
Real-time marketing actions are usually not planned far in advance as in traditional marketing. For this reason, they require great flexibility and very fast decision-making.
Continuous customer service becomes paramount. Actions for real – time marketing to succeed you have to be able to react immediately to any problems of users. These must become the center of the business.
In this way, quality and more personalized communication strategies can be created that will provide more satisfactory and lasting user experiences.
How does real time marketing work ?
Real-time marketing is the marketing adapted to the immediacy that dominates today ‘s society. It is developed on social networks that users access through their mobile devices.
It is based on creating surprising and creative messages at the right time. For this, a specific situation is used that facilitates or favors the viralization of the message.
It was born out of the need to impact consumers and thereby create emotional ties with the brand. That is why it is very useful to link a strategy to a topic of interest to get their attention. Certain special events or shocking news can make a perfect thread.
The goal of any real-time marketing strategy is to make the content go viral. For this reason, it is essential to create original content that impacts the recipients of the message, and of course to do it very quickly.
Although they can be developed perfectly on all social networks, Twitter is the preferred platform for brands for this type of marketing because millions of conversations take place in it in real time.
Advantages of real time marketing
The marketing in real-time is a very effective tool to foster the relationship and interaction with users. Manages strategies that promote the transmission of personalized messages that increase brand recognition and creating significant leads.
The campaigns real time marketing have clear advantages against the advertising strategies of marketing traditional, because:
- They offer a more current and flexible image.
- They launch messages more adapted to the moment and to the user’s taste.
- They offer the possibility of conceiving communications with a strong factor of surprise that attract a greater attention from consumers.
- They allow an easy viralization of the content.
- They lead to amplification of messages through word of mouth among leads .
Successful examples of real-time marketing
The Oreo brand of cookies is a pioneer in the use of real-time marketing techniques . He celebrated his centenary with the Daily Twist campaign , in which he developed continuous communication strategies for 100 days that dealt with current issues of public interest, such as gay pride or the arrival of man on Mars. These actions led to increased interaction with consumers on social networks and increased social recognition of the brand.
The mythical example of real-time marketing is the tweet the brand launched after a blackout during the 2013 Super Bowl that was retweeted more than 150,000 times, generating thousands of followers.
In addition, on social networks they have managed to channel the attention of users towards the brand through original debates in which, for example, they ask if the cookie or the cream is better.
Many brands develop similar strategies through actions that surprise users or consumers in direct relation to a news item of the moment that goes viral. A perfect way to connect with millions of users.
In 2016, the airline Norwegian Airlines took advantage of the news of the divorce of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to develop a highly successful campaign that viralized their flights to the United States. A campaign that also led to traditional media such as the written press.
Rexona is another brand that has been able to take advantage of the advantages of real-time marketing. When WhatsApp released the acknowledgment popcorn, Rexona quickly took advantage of the impact of the news and, relying on the similarity of its logo to the blue accents of the application, launched a campaign on Facebook and Twitter with the phrase: «While They ignore you, Rexona won’t abandon you ». A clear example of how to use a news item of the moment as a springboard for our advertising campaign. A technique within the world of real-time marketing is called newsjacking.
Tips to develop marketing strategies in real time
To put marketing tactics into practice in real-time, the immediacy of the action is very important. For this it is decisive:
- Stay informed about the important events that will take place and that can be the hitch of your strategy. Social media will tell you which ones are the most influential among users. The event does not have to be related to your brand. The important thing is to find the relationship between the message and what the brand intends to convey based on what users are looking for. One option that works is to relate them through humor or irony.
- Monitor conversations. This way you will know the topics of interest and you will be able to adapt and personalize your actions. It is the perfect way to identify the influencers that best suit your brand and who can help make your content go viral. Plus, you’ll be able to spot trends early and be prepared to react quickly when the occasion arises.
- Keeping your team on their toes, ready to work when the right opportunity arises. It is a job that requires the work of a good graphic designer, a community manager, and a copywriter.
- Select the ideal time to launch your campaign. It is essential to ensure its success and that it does not go unnoticed. To do this, decide in advance the social network in which you will develop the campaign and the techniques you will use. Adapt the content to the selected platform and its users.
- Create creative content that is interesting. and that unifies the interest of your target audience, always maintaining your identity as a brand.
Once you launch the campaign, it is very important that you monitor its results by participating in user conversations. This will allow you to optimize its impact.
Real-time marketing has every day a greater number of followers among those who bet on the power of new technologies and social networks as a space for interaction. However, its influence in other traditional marketing techniques can already be discovered. For example, we see it in the proliferation of satisfaction surveys while products are consumed, the increasing personalization of advertising and products, the modification of prices at certain times of the day and pop-up stores.
The key to successful real-time marketing is knowing how to identify, understand, and respond to users very quickly. In a very creative way, it is about taking advantage of the context and turning it into another tool so that the brand can spread its message to the largest number of people.
Reality forces innovation to succeed. New technologies put at your disposal incredible tools to develop successful real time marketing strategies , such as voice marketing , the conversational interfaces provided by artificial intelligence and the cognitive and emotional monitoring of the consumer through CRM or CDP systems.
Real-time marketing is expected to move rapidly toward ultra-personalization of interactive and predictive messages that will reach the consumer at the right place and at the right time.